Jackson County, ca. 1900. Students and teachers
pose for a photograph outside Johnson's Academy School, located on Ga.
Highway 11. It was a one-room structure that had a fireplace to
provide heat. Note the firewood in the background at the left. The
school operated as a private educational institution at first. Later it
became part of the school system of Jackson County. Then after Barrow
County was created July 7, 1914, the school became part of the school
system in Barrow County.