HistoryJohn Dillard settled in the area around what is now Dillard with his son, James Dillard, about 1823.
James took title to 1,000 acres (4.0 km2) of land by purchasing the lottery rights of land holders in Rabun County. John Dillard served as a lieutenant in the Virginia Militia in the American Revolution where he was in the Battle of Guilford Court House and other battles. Both James and John were residents of Buncombe County, North Carolina prior to their settlement on lands now comprising Dillard, Georgia.
The small town is now known primarily for the Dillard House, a regionally well-known inn, restaurant and conference center that serves traditional southern fare. John M. Dillard of Greenville, South Carolina, has extensively documented the history of John Dillard and his descendants.