Tuesday, August 20, 2013

If I Had My Life To Live Over

 I would have invited friends over to dinner
 even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded. 

I would have eaten the popcorn in the "GOOD"
 living room and worried much less about the dirt
when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to
my grandfather ramble about his youth.

I would never have insisted the car windows be
 rolled up on a summer day because my hair
 had just been teased and sprayed. 

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted
 like a rose before it melted in storage. 


I would have sat on the lawn with my children
and not worried about grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while
watching television and more while watching life. 

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead
 of pretending the earth would go into a holding
 pattern if I weren't there for the day.

I would never have bought anything just
because  it was practical, wouldn't show soil
 or was guaranteed to last a lifetime. 

When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never
 have said, Later. Now go get washed up for dinner."
There would have been more "I love yous"
and more "I'm sorry's"; .....but mostly,
 given another shot at life,
 I would seize every minute.....
look at it and really see it ...
 live it ... and never give it back.

Erma Bombeck

No comments:

Post a Comment