Saturday, February 23, 2013
White House, TN
White House Greenway
Motto: "Valuing Our Future While Protecting Our Heritage"
White House is a city in Robertson and Sumner counties in the United States state of Tennessee. The population was 7,220 at the 2000 census. According to the city website a special census was conducted in 2008 that placed the city population at 9,891 residents, with 3,587 households within the city limits. The population was 11,012 at the 2010 census which showed growth of 4,000 people from 2000 to 2010.
The area that is now White House was purchased around 1828 by Richard Stone Wilks, a settler from Virginia. A trail running from Kentucky to Nashville, originally created by buffalo and Native Americans, cut through the area. This trail was originally known as the Louisville & Nashville Turnpike during the mid-19th century. In 1928, the trail was renamed US Highway 31W.
Naming the town
In the mid-19th century, the Carter, Thomas, and Hough Stagecoach Company traveled the L&N Turnpike carrying passengers. A typical stop along the way was a white, two-story house built by Richard Wilks in 1829. The house was a popular stop for lodging, food, and changing out horses. President Andrew Jackson was even heard to have stayed here during his travels between his home and the White House. During this time, houses were rarely painted white, particularly in this underdeveloped area. The stage coach drivers began to call this stop and the surrounding area White House.
Original White House torn down, building replaced
The monument for which the town was named was torn down in 1951 to make way for new development. However, in 1986, the community erected a replica of the original building. The reproduction, called the White House Inn Library and Museum, currently sits in the center of town next to the Fire Department. It contains the library, a museum with artifacts from the area's early years, and the city's Chamber of Commerce.
Growth and development
White House was incorporated in 1921. Currently, the young town is experiencing population growth, economic progress, and community development. The city is located north of Nashville within the greater Nashville region.
White House is located along Interstate 65 at the intersection of State Highway 76 and US Highway 31W. The town, as of 2007, covers eleven square miles and is situated about 22 miles (35 km) north of downtown Nashville, lying in both Robertson and Sumner Counties.
The town's current mayor is Mike Arnold.
The city is split into two counties, and therefore has two public school districts. Sumner county public schools:
Harold B. Williams Elementary School (K-4)
White House Middle School (5-8)
White House High School (9-12)
Robertson county public schools:
Robert F. Woodall Elementary School (K-2)
White House Heritage Elementary School (3-6)
White House Heritage High School (7-12)
The choir at the First Baptist Church of White House recorded back-up vocals for Alison Krauss in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"
Official City Website
Current City News
Browser Connection Newspaper Website
White House High School (Sumner County Schools)
White House Heritage High School (Robertson County Schools)
Posted by Palmer at 4:05 PM