Thursday, March 24, 2016
Charlie Sciara Produce
Charlie Sciara Produce was started in 1941 by Charlie Sciara. He began by selling fruits and vegetables on a small scale in the Memphis area. Charlie grew the business over the years and in 1972 moved to his first warehouse in downtown Memphis.
After completing his pharmacy degree and practicing for several years, Charlie’s son, Pete joined the business as President. Having grown up in the business, this was an easy transition. Following the death of his father, Pete took over the business, now called Charlie Sciara & Son Produce Company, Inc. As the number of restaurants in the Memphis area increased, so did the need for more warehouse space. Sciara Produce moved to a larger warehouse in Midtown Memphis to accommodate the needs of its customers. More employees were hired as the business expanded.
In 1988, growing with an ever increasing foodservice market, Sciara Produce moved to its current location in Southeast Memphis. Almost tripling its warehouse and cold-storage size, Sciara was able to provide its customers with even greater service. At this time Sciara was able to expand prepared produce items which allowed restaurants to save time and labor costs on prepared produce items.
Presently, Sciara Produce is growing with the industry as it evolves. As an approved distributor for several managed produce programs, we are inspected by a third party inspection service. We have an on-site laboratory with a microbiologist. We take pride in our commitment to quality and detail!