Friday, July 3, 2015

The American Boy

The American Boy


SON:

Father, look up, and see that flag!
How gracefully it flies!
Those pretty stripes, they seem to be
A rainbow in the skies.

FATHER:

It is your country's flag my boy,
And proudly drinks the light,
O'er ocean's wave, in foreign climes,
A symbol of our might.

SON:

Father, what fearful noise is that,
Now thundering in the clouds?
Why do they, cheering, wave their hat,
And rush along in crowds?


FATHER:

It is the voice of cannonry,
The glad shouts of the free,
This is a day of memory,
'Tis FREEDOM'S JUBILEE!

SON:

I wish that I was now a man,
I'd free my country too,
And cheer as loudly as the rest,
But Father, why don't you?

FATHER:

I'm getting old and weak, but still,
My heart is big with joy,
I've witnessed many a day like this,
Shout you aloud, my boy!

SON:

HURRAY FOR FREEDOM'S JUBILEE,
God bless our native land,
And may I live to hold the boon
Of freedom in my hand.

FATHER:

Well done my boy, grow up and love,
The land that gave you birth,
A land where freedom loves to dwell...
A paradise on earth!

~ author unknown ~

No comments:

Post a Comment