Monday, May 6, 2013

My Get Up And Go Has Got Up And Went

 How do I know my youth is all spent?
Well, my get-up-and-go has got-up-and-went!

But in spite of it all I'm able to grin when,

I think of where my get-up-and-go has been.

Old age is golden, so I've heard it said.

But sometimes I wonder as I get into bed.

With ears in a drawer, my teeth in a cup,

My eyes on the table until I wake up.

Ere sleep dim my eyes, I say to myself,

Is there anything else I should have laid on the shelf?

I'm happy to say as I close my door,

My friends are the same, perhaps even more.

When I was young my slippers were red.

I could kick my heels right over my head.

When I grew older my slippers were blue,

But still I could dance the whole night through.

Now I am old my slippers are black.

I walk to the store and puff my way back.

The reason I know my youth is all spent.

My get up and go has got up and went.

But really don't mind when I think with a grin,

Of the grand places my get up and go has been.

Since I've retired from life's competition,

I busy myself with complete repetition.

I get up each morning, dust off my wits,

Pick up the paper and read the obits.

If my name is missing I know I'm not dead.

So I eat a good breakfast and go back to bed.

~ author unknown ~

No comments:

Post a Comment