Reuss, George B., successful and well-known sugar planter, was born at New Orleans, La., Feb. 15, 1858; son of John and Helena (Lotz) Reuss, both natives of Hesse, Darmstadt, Germany. The father came to America about the year 1850, locating in Iberville parish, La., where he engaged in the saddlery business. Later he removed to Ascension parish and located on the Chatham plantation. Still later, in the year 1867, he purchased the Germania plantation, consisting of 2200 acres of land, and became an extensive planter of sugar cane and corn. He gave close attention to his business, and prospered greatly. In the year 1896 or 1897 he went on an extended tour of Europe, in the course of which he died, in 1898, at the age of 75 years. His wife preceded him in death in 1890, at the age of 58 years. George B. Reuss was the only child born to his parents. In the course of his education he attended Spring Hill college, Mobile, Ala., from which in due time he graduated. Following the completion of his education, the young man passed one year in the city of New Orleans, after which he became active assistant to his father in the management of the plantation business and so remained until the death of the latter, when the son succeeded to the ownership of the property left by the father. He has successfully managed the estate and added largely to it, acquiring the Belle Helene property and organizing the Belle Helene Planting Co., the stock of which is held by himself and his children. Mr. Reuss is a member of the Lutheran church, and is affiliated with the Sugar Planters' association of New Orleans, and Donaldsonville Lodge No. 1153, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. Jan. 4, 1888, George B. Reuss was married to Miss Bertha E. Spor, a daughter of J. G. and Eleanor (Bettinger) Spor, both natives of Alsace, German, Empire. The parents came to America about the year 1850, locating in the city of New Orleans, where the father engaged in the wholesale grocery business. He died in the year 1897 and the mother in 1907. To Mr. and Mrs. George B. Reuss 4 children have been born, namely: Helene, a graduate of the Sophie B. Wright school, New Orleans, wife of W. C. Hayward, of New Orleans, and now the mother of 3 children, namely, Helene Reuss, John Reuss, and William Campbell Hayward; Elise, who died in the year 1898, and to whose memory her father erected a loving memorial in the form of a splendid school building, which is perhaps the finest of its kind within the state of Louisiana outside of the larger cities; Ethelyn, also a graduate of the Sophie B. Wright school, and now residing at the parental home; Gussie, another graduate of the Sophie B. Wright school, and also of the National park seminary of Maryland. Mr. Reuss is a public-spirited and actively progressive citizen, and has served the people of his part of the state in various capacities. For a number of years he was a member of the school board, and has always been zealous in his efforts toward the improvement of the schools of his parish. He served as a member of the police jury for 8 years in the capacity of president of the jury. During this time the Donaldsonville high school building was erected, Mr. Reuss being a member and chairman of the building committee. Many years ago Mr. Reuss had made the survey and acquired the right-of-way for a railroad between Belle Helene, Gonzales and Galvez, through the New River section. Seven miles of this road have been built, and a few years ago the line was extended from Belle Helene to the new and progressive town of St. Elmo, the railroad being now known as the St. Elmo, Belle Helene & Louisiana Eastern R. R. About 15 years ago Mr. Reuss also had a survey made for the purpose of draining the lands of his section into Bayou Bijou. There was much opposition to his project at that time, but in 1914 Mr. Reuss was greatly gratified by the forming of the Bayou Bijou drainage district, of which he was appointed a commissioner. This drainage commission virtually accepted Mr. Reuss' original survey, and the large drainage canal, with several laterals, is nearing completion, and will reclaim thousands of fertile acres. At all times Mr. Reuss is found in the lead of any movement directed toward the betterment of the material advancement of the interests of the people among whom he lives.
Derelict brick school building, Iberville Parish, Louisiana.
On February 29, 2008, Baret and I took a graving trip out to Iberville Parish, so that I could - as Iberville Parish Keeper - record the cemeteries in and around Plaquemine and White Castle for Find A Grave.
Just outside of White Castle, along the River Road just inside the Ascension Parish line, we saw this old, abandoned brick abode. We found a way to get to it, and snapped some photos.
On the facade's front brick column were two white marble panels detailing the building's history.
The first read: Elise Reuss Memorial School
Erected 1907 To the loving memory of our daughter Elise Bertha Christine Reuss
Born June 9th 1890 Died November 19th 1894
The second panel read: Architects Mackenzie Goldstein and Biggs New Orleans, LA
Builders Lydien Colet S.P. Braud